Investec is a distinctive Specialist Bank serving clients principally in the UK and South Africa. Our culture gives us our edge: we work hard to find colleagues who'll think out of the ordinary and we put them in environments where they'll flourish. We combine a flat structure with a focus on internal mobility. If you can bring an entrepreneurial spirit and a desire to learn and collaborate to your work, this could be the boost your career deserves.
Description of role and key responsibilities
Business Development Executive (BDE)
This is an exciting opportunity for you to be part of an ambitious, diverse and dynamic sales team who are responsible for originating and developing new-to-bank clients. The successful candidate will focus on working capital direct new business origination with privately owned/entrepreneurial companies.
• Working primarily to drive new business origination directly with target customers. • Identification of new business targets• Source, onboard, educate and review new introducer relationships working closely with Regional Sales Directors.• Direct first engagement of target customers / introducers • Sales administration to completion • Prospect visits with regional sales directors or relationship managers• Able to effectively communicate without jargon and professionally to both colleagues and clients.
• Responsible for first line evaluation of credit. Checking background information on prospects• Adding value where appropriate market knowledge and trends to clients • Thoroughly checking completeness and accuracy of file data presented; identifying areas of weakness / anomaly and non-conformance• Working with Sales team to rectify perceived issues pre-submission to underwriting – objective to improve submission quality, reduce frictions and increase acceptance rate• Creating submission template for underwriting to include factual observations where appropriate (positive and negative plus mitigating factors)• Managing file through the underwriting process, ensuring accuracy of final credit minute produced & production of formal offer letter to reflect credit backed terms• Working with Risk team to handover client for documentation and take on• Creating a strong bridge between business development and credit functions• Complete all relevant/necessary administration work involved in progressing a customer to completion
• Cold call experience ideally in financial services • Close attention to detail• Intelligent and articulate; able to present well both in writing and orally• Able to build strong relationships internally and externally• Excellent communication skills
Core skills and knowledge
• To act with integrity at all times and embrace the philosophy of treating our customers fairly (compulsory)• Regulatory Knowledge as applicable to role (compulsory)• Coaching & Assessment (compulsory for Managers and Supervisors)
Any other attributes that would be helpful, but not essential for the role.
• Direct selling experience; Knowledge of banking and banking products ; Basic regulatory understanding
• Clear progression for the candidate through split time spent focusing on direct sales as well as other aspects of the ICS business including risk/operations.• Ability to shadow regional sales directors, relationship managers and auditors throughout their daily tasks to improve knowledge and understand of what it takes to get a client on board.• Ability to extend knowledge base through internal resources and external resources such as courses and certificates.• Ability to sit in with management on the credit process and the insights of what goes into bringing on a new client. Risks involved, prior business history and general market conditions.• Ability to network and make new connections internally and externally.
As part of our collaborative & agile culture, our working week is 4 days in the office and one day remote.
Investec offers a range of wellbeing benefits to make our people feel healthier, balanced and more fulfilled in their lives inside and outside of work.
Here is a selection of what we offer;
Wellbeing Subsidy, Corporate Gym Membership, Virtual GP, Peppy Health App (Fertility, Menopause and Early Parenthood), Optional Private Medical & Dental Insurance
Non-contributory Pension & Discretionary Bonus
Life & Income Protection
Life Assurance, Critical Illness & Income Protection
Season Ticket Loan & Electric Vehicle Scheme
Embedded in our culture is a sense of belonging and inclusion. This creates an environment in which everyone is free to be themselves which helps to drive innovation, creativity and ultimately business performance. At Investec we want everyone to find it easy to be themselves, and to feel they belong. It's a responsibility we all share and is integral to our purpose and values as an organisation.
Research shows that some candidates can be reluctant to apply to a role unless they meet all the criteria. We pride ourselves on our entrepreneurial spirit here and welcome you to do the same – if the role excites you, please don't let our person specification hold you back. Get in touch!
We commit to ensure that everyone is fairly assessed during our recruitment process. To assist candidates in completing their application form, Recite Me assistive technology is available on our Careers pages. This can be accessed by clicking on the ‘Accessibility Options' link at the top of the page.
The Recite Me tool includes a screen reader, styling and customisation options, a series of reading aids, a translator and more.
If you have any form of disability or neurodivergent need and require further assistance in completing your application, please contact the Careers team at [email protected] who will be happy to assist.
We commit to ensure that everyone is fairly assessed during our recruitment process.
Let us know if you need any reasonable adjustments to complete your application.