Investec is a distinctive Specialist Bank serving clients principally in the UK and South Africa. Our culture gives us our edge: we work hard to find colleagues who'll think out of the ordinary and we put them in environments where they'll flourish. We combine a flat structure with a focus on internal mobility. If you can bring an entrepreneurial spirit and a desire to learn and collaborate to your work, this could be the boost your career deserves.
An amazing opportunity to join a successful, dynamic and fast growing direct lending business. With consistent growth annually over the past 13+ years, the business needs have evolved to require the need for a more dedicated investment management function to manage existing borrowers. The role includes origination, execution and ongoing borrower relationship management inclusive of credit and risk monitoring across a portfolio of 120+ unique European borrowers.
This is an exciting opportunity to be a foundation member of a new team that is responsible for managing the portfolio (>120+ borrowers) of European private credit exposures within the successful Investec Direct Lending franchise – a leading private debt manager dedicated to the lower mid-market.
About the team:
Private Credit Management (“PCM”) are a new team focused on investment management of existing borrowers – inclusive of origination, driving new revenue opportunities, transaction execution and ongoing borrower coverage and management. Responsible for borrower coverage and management, credit & risk oversight, originating revenue growth opportunities, new product development and quantitative analysis to assist portfolio construction and investor engagement.
We are seeking an Investment Director to join this growing team at the outset and to play an important role in the build out of our European direct lending strategy. The core focus on the origination, execution and ongoing relationship management of existing direct lending investments (lower and middle market). The candidate will be responsible for both managing a portfolio of investments and driving new deployment and opportunities with Borrowers in the UK, Benelux and DACH regions. The fundamentals of the role will be evaluating and managing private credit investments and the candidate will interact across our investment platform including close working relationships with origination professionals, fund, coverage and sector teams.
What will you be doing?
1. People Management: Manage and work within dynamic teams and be responsible for the timely delivery of team objectives as well as ensuring borrower relationships and service are first class. Challenging, harnessing and nurturing the talents of the team and assisting in developing a strong and enjoyable working environment promoting teamwork, collaboration and personal development to maximise performance.
2. Manage a portfolio of existing investments: Cover and monitor performance and covenant compliance, prepare periodic/annual reviews, examine amendments and waiver requests, provide performance updates, identify and act on warning signals, participate in portfolio reviews. As well as ensuring we are optimising revenue opportunities and capital utilisation.
3. Lead new money requests for existing borrowers: Lead and manage add-ons and upsizes to support revenue growth working seamlessly with origination to capture team efficiency benefits.
4. Origination and business development: Identify and develop an opportunity pipeline collaborating alongside origination and wider Investec products and services e.g. Coverage, M&A, Treasury, Private Banking, etc. To assist with driving new product propositions – e.g. sustainability linked loans, etc – and lending partnerships to allow the platform to scale.
5. Risk Management: To work within and promote a rigorous investment management, governance and oversight environment, escalating risks to ensure coordinated action can be taken as needed. And building credibility with investors and capital providers. In particular, interact regularly with origination teams, fund PMs, credit and restructuring stakeholders to understand trends and evolving risks within portfolios and develop appropriate responses.
What are we looking for?
Technical Knowledge & Skill set• Extensive knowledge of and credibility within the UK & European credit market with strong analytical and presentation skills. • A strong track record and significant experience of investing and manging lower- and mid-market private debt investments. Including credit underwriting and dealing with amendments and restructuring processes.• Strong experience in leading negotiations of credit agreements.• A high level of competence in the analysis of company financial statements, business / operational and financial risks.• Highly numerate with strong execution and structuring skills and a proven ability to execute and drive forward strategic plans to meet role targets set against proven risk assessment, monitoring and control skills.• In depth and demonstrable knowledge of all aspects of the internal Credit authorisation process / policy.Management Skills• People coaching, performance management and development. • Strong work ethic and integrity; you should be a team player that is proactive and self-motivated.• Ability to develop and motivate individuals in order to drive high performance. Strong communication and influencing skills.• First class and highly developed interpersonal skills with a natural ability to build long term, trusted relationships with internal stakeholders, Sponsors and Management teams.• People management and delegation skills and the ability to lead teams to achieve success.• Additional European languages (German and Dutch) would be advantageous.
As part of our collaborative & agile culture, our working week is 4 days in the office and one day remote.
Investec offers a range of wellbeing benefits to make our people feel healthier, balanced and more fulfilled in their lives inside and outside of work.
Here is a selection of what we offer;
Wellbeing Subsidy, Corporate Gym Membership, Virtual GP, Peppy Health App (Fertility, Menopause and Early Parenthood), Optional Private Medical & Dental Insurance
Non-contributory Pension & Discretionary Bonus
Life & Income Protection
Life Assurance, Critical Illness & Income Protection
Season Ticket Loan & Electric Vehicle Scheme
Embedded in our culture is a sense of belonging and inclusion. This creates an environment in which everyone is free to be themselves which helps to drive innovation, creativity and ultimately business performance. At Investec we want everyone to find it easy to be themselves, and to feel they belong. It's a responsibility we all share and is integral to our purpose and values as an organisation.
Research shows that some candidates can be reluctant to apply to a role unless they meet all the criteria. We pride ourselves on our entrepreneurial spirit here and welcome you to do the same – if the role excites you, please don't let our person specification hold you back. Get in touch!
We commit to ensure that everyone is fairly assessed during our recruitment process. To assist candidates in completing their application form, Recite Me assistive technology is available on our Careers pages. This can be accessed by clicking on the ‘Accessibility Options' link at the top of the page.
The Recite Me tool includes a screen reader, styling and customisation options, a series of reading aids, a translator and more.
If you have any form of disability or neurodivergent need and require further assistance in completing your application, please contact the Careers team at [email protected] who will be happy to assist.
We commit to ensure that everyone is fairly assessed during our recruitment process.
Let us know if you need any reasonable adjustments to complete your application.